Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Namaste

If you're unfamiliar with the word "Namaste," it's a yoga term which I understand to mean, in its most basic form, "thank you." I've also known it to take on connotations of a sense of community expressed after sharing a yoga session together. I still have a lot to learn about the ins & outs of this complex term, and yet it already fills me with a sense of peace.

Tonight's yoga class had about double the participants of a usual session. Normally I seem to adopt sort of an "I hate people, especially in large groups" attitude. In this post-yoga blissful state where I sit now, that really kind of makes me sad. In fact, it hurt a little just to write the word "hate" and consider that it was a reflection of my inner state. Tonight's class was beautifully enhanced by the number of people. It's like the zen in the room increased exponentially with each body.

Tonight's class left me with a feeling of appreciation for my body, and acceptance of all the things that make other bodies different. There is beauty in the variety. Granted, I'm still probably chock full of endorphins but in this moment it feels so silly to dislike so strongly the extra curves that take residence on my belly, hips, and thighs. They are a part of me and I'm a little offended that I've been so angry at them for so long.

I have decided to remind myself of tonight's warm fuzzies by hanging onto a rock imprinted with the word "accept." tonight's revelation feels so powerful that I want to carry a piece of it with me everywhere. I truly am in awe at the power of tonight's meditation on my mindset. In awe and incredibly grateful.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment