Monday, June 20, 2011

Breaking through

The last few days has shown me that I've made major strides in my fitness level.  I hit the gym for a strength training workout on Saturday and was impressed at how smoothly my walking lunges went.  I was able to do more reps on the pullup assist machine at 15lb under my body weight.  Weights that used to be impossible are now becoming easy. 

My balance is becoming stellar, my strength is growing by leaps and bounds, my endurance is (slowly but surely) picking up, and my newly-amazing core is enabling me to do things I never would have dreamed of.  I did an exercise today that, when complete, left me in amazement of my current athletic level.  I've never even come close to considering myself an athlete, but I think if I keep this up no one will be able to deny it. 

That is So. Amazing.  Me... An athlete?!  Whoa.

I'm starting to think of it like this: When I'm able to do exercises that blow me out of the water, and see how effective, efficient, and strong my body can be, who cares about 10 extra pounds?  It would be nice to have them gone, but now that I'm creeping up on hitting some of my fundamental goals the number on the scale seems to matter less and less.  I wish I could have captured the form I had during a very challenging exercise today, or even just bottled up the feeling I had when I did it.  For so long, I've had physical activities be impressive when I compare them to my own level or where I've come from.  But I'm starting to creep up to a point where I'm doing things that are impressive for any level.  Granted, I'm no Olympian or personal trainer, but when compared to the average person who works out on a regular basis I think I'm starting to hold my own and really excel in some areas.
Through this journey I'm learning new strength, both physical and mental, that I had no idea was within me.  It's an incredible feeling and I stand in awe of how hard I've worked and what I've accomplished so far.  It really makes all the struggle worth it when I have little breakthrough points and take a big leap into new territory.

This is what I'm fighting for.  And I'm incredibly excited to keep fighting :)

1 comment:

  1. You'll be glad to know that when you rounded the corner and were walking down the street towards your car today you looked noticeably slender. Your hard work is definitely paying off. If you inspire me any more I may have to break the seal in that P90X!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete